Other types of antennas to mount to slantbacks?

Humvee modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

Moderator: Kurt Lesser

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Other types of antennas to mount to slantbacks?

Post by icentropy » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:55 am

I've currently got two shakespear 9' antennas mounted to my rear fenders (one for CB and one for HAM). I just installed a slantback kit and have an extra antenna base for the driver's side sponson so i can either move my antennas off the fenders and onto the sponsons or leave them where they are (just add risers for clearance) and add one or two more antennas to the sponsons. I was wondering if any of you had any other useful antennas mounted to your truck besides CB and HAM?

I was thinking of making one with a mushroom style GPS receiver (commonly used on boats) and hooking it up to a toughbook?
And maybe a Cell phone amplifier/repeater like this one http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/r ... R-30M.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems kinda like two expensive products just to take up two extra spaces but actually where i'm moving to, the Cell repeater/booster might make a big difference. The GPS would be just for fun and looks but standard USB receivers are pretty inexpensive anyway (under $100) so the main work would just be fabbing up the thick antenna post to look like it belongs on the truck not out at sea :D I think a coat of flat green would make both blend in nicely.
1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

bikeman
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Other types of antennas to mount to slantbacks?

Post by bikeman » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:00 am

I'm not sure what you're visualizing for the cell booster GPS size wise, but look into mocking up a Blue Force tracker antenna and puting them inside. It's a pretty decent sized box. Plus, it can be mounted on the slant back with the proper mount.

11B Oct03-Aug08
91A Aug08-Mar12
90A Mar12-Apr15
Fort Bragg, NC

"Train to Maintain!"

My Trucks:
1951 M38
1977 M880 Dodge (restoration in progress)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Quad Cab, Short Bed, Cummins Turbo Diesel

icentropy
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Other types of antennas to mount to slantbacks?

Post by icentropy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:33 am

bikeman wrote:I'm not sure what you're visualizing for the cell booster GPS size wise, but look into mocking up a Blue Force tracker antenna and puting them inside. It's a pretty decent sized box. Plus, it can be mounted on the slant back with the proper mount.

Well i need to make it use the rear fender antenna mounts. I was just visualizing some sort of 2-3" tube 12-24" high with either a mushroom cap type GPS on top or a same sized GPS so it just blends into the top of the tube. The cell phone reapeater is gonna be difficult to make look good as they're basically just short 12" thin antennas. I don't think there's much i can do to that to make it blend into the truck better. That's gonna look weird mounted to the fender mount.

I just moved one 9' antenna this weekend onto the passenger sponson. Hopefully today I get a chance to cut and install the antenna mount on the driver's sponson.
1994 AMG Hummer 6.5NA HMC4 (lots of stuff)
1997 AMG Hummer 6.5TD slantback(w/light performance upgrades)
Ibis Tek FPB, MASTC, ESC, and HID light bar (Sold)
WWW.ICENTROPY.COM

Return to “Humvee Modifications”