Kubota Turbo-Diesel conversion done....

Mighty Mite modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

Vehicross69
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Kubota Turbo-Diesel conversion done....

Post by Vehicross69 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:31 pm

Took it out for the frist real test drive today....WOW is it torquey!!! seems like a perfect match for the MM light overall weight....the engine weights exactly the same as the original air-cooled unit I removed....I forcast 40-50MPG while putting along at 40-50 MPH....The gearing is helped somewhat with tle larger 34" tires...the little 1.5ltr. diesel is purring like a kitten at 3000 rpms....The overall conversion was very straightforward...Typical oil pand modifacations or fabrication and and adapter plate made at a friends CNC machine shop....

Turned up the injection pump a smidge, and added aspring to wastegate, thus doubling boost to around 14PSI...

Ill post pics and vids in a day or so...

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Kubota Turbo-Diesel conversion done....

Post by mspeters » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:14 pm

9 months behind you. This was a wrecked parts rig with multiple areas of frame damage and a rolled body. I got carried away with turning into a desert camp car. Now has a VW diesel and an assortment on mechanical updates. Its a tight squeeze with the radiator/fan/exhaust, but no firewall mods needed. Its now dissassembled for frame and suspension paint and diff rebuilds.
M422-3.jpg
salv
M422-3.jpg (45.13 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
dry mock up.jpg
dry mock up.jpg (203.58 KiB) Viewed 9941 times
dry mock up 2.jpg
dry mock up 2.jpg (172.71 KiB) Viewed 9941 times

Radar4xfour
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Radar4xfour » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Mspeters,

Job well done, I like the absence of leaf springs and the additional of coil-overs!

PM Sent

Radar

Vehicross69
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Vehicross69 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Awesome Thanks for posting....
let us know how it turns out?

maxEmilian
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by maxEmilian » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Wow, what a nice rig! Can you tell us more about the modifications, please. I also like your colour choice. Is it desert semi gloss.

Best

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:36 am

Vehicross69, can you post some photos of your engine and mods?
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by mspeters » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:20 am

Vehicross69,
Got any more pics of your Kubota install and radiator set-up ? How did you refab the front differential mounts ?
With the huge oversize tires, in the rear you might want to revert to the older spacer/shim set-up for the rear bearings for a solidly torqued yoke/spline set-up.
maxEmilian wrote:Wow, what a nice rig! Can you tell us more about the modifications, please. I also like your colour choice. Is it desert semi gloss.

Best
Will post a separate thread next month with more pics, after the drivetrain is in situ. 3+ years of planning and tinkering. It will be a bit heavier, but will suit my need for low speed desert exploring.

The paint is a low gloss finish, Eastwood's "DesertED Tan". It is a driveway-grade paint job over a large amount of bodywork, welding holes/cracks, replaced rivets.

Coilovers with DIY shock towers went in with a front frame boxing. This gives a 1" lift, plus a 2" body space to clear the rear coilovers and radiator height. The rear diff mount is dropped and strengthened for normal halfshaft angles In lieu of the aluminum cups or rubber swing arm bushings minor machining to the suspension arms and hangers fits sealed teflon lined bearings. The drivetrain is vw TD diesel, with a mix of adapters with a modified jeep trans, model 18 transfercase with a 3:1 low. Replaced a very botched rack and pinion steering install with a toyota PS steering box. Brakes are now discs. The rear crossmember was adapted for a simple tire & 1 can carrier for a XJ jeep.
M422A1 TD - rolling frame sml.jpg
M422A1 TD - rolling frame sml.jpg (224.06 KiB) Viewed 9701 times

lawverdict
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by lawverdict » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:48 pm

Your conversion is awesome. Please post detailed progress pics and notes. What tires are you using? Are you exploring the California desert? I believe I have the same map that you have hanging in your garage-Rand McNally.

Return to “Mighty Mite Modifications”