45 MB Paint question

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Tshroades@gmail.com
G-Private
G-Private
45 MB Paint question

Post by Tshroades@gmail.com » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:13 am

I am looking at a 45 MB. It is in great shape, some small issues with seals and such but that is to be expected. My biggest issue is that it is a Marine green, almost a forest green. I am thinking about going with an army green. My question is being it is a close color I should only have to scuff the surfaces I am painting? I don't want to break the bank and figured to disassemble, sand to metal, prime, and repaint would take a great deal of time and money. Just wanted to get thoughts on this. I will attach some photos of it.
Regards,
Travis Shroades

ndnile
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant
Re: 45 MB Paint question

Post by ndnile » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:57 am

I'm not an expert, but I went from khaki brown to USMC forest green and it came out to my satisfaction. We scoffed, cleaned, primed then painted. The only step I see that I did and you are missing is a coat of primer.

Nice looking rig.

Cheers, Doug
Doug
Sacramento Area
1943 Willys MB
1943 GPW-125334 (Sold)
1962 M170
1959 Willys Wagon

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Based on my experience, I've got some good news and some bad news. First the good... if you have any level of confidence that the initial metal prep and priming is good, then a respray of a top coat or two of the desired shade should do it. If fact, you might want to keep a jerry can or blackout light or some other accessory the darker green so that your rig does not look "dipped" as Chuck Lutz would say. A little variance as parts were added andremoved by the motor pool.

Now the bad news. Say this jeep was orginally white and you wanted to paint it black. Scuff it up and paint away, no one will notice. But . . . don't open a tool box lid, glove box door or hood as the shade difference will be noticeable.
I can't imagine masking off the wires, hoses, engine parts, voltage regulator, fuel filter, fuel lines, etc., to respary the engine compartment a different color. Same with windshield open and closed, folded out of the way, wheels masked, etc. A lot of work for a slight color change. Up to you, it's your jeep

But to answer your original question, presuming it's all oil based paint, you can do it.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:20 pm

I'm sure the Army never field-sprayed a vehicle with OD -- or painted one with broom -- with little or no consideration for the "details"? Painted the canvas... painted the tires closet to the rim... Some grease on the headlights, gauges and windshield and they were good. Look at the crappy markings in period photos and you'll see what I mean. They don't give paint jobs to the artists in a unit.

In the end, it's whatever you're comfortable with.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”