SU carburator on jeep

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial WWII field mods NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Michael Browne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Location: Yackandandah, NE Victoria..greatest part of Australia, always 26 deg and sunny

Re: SU carburator on jeep

Post by Michael Browne » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:01 pm

bantamj wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 am
Fabrizio, Your words are what I have been told.
If I would go for the double carburator short to the engine the icing issue would be solved.

Don't go too short and on the MGB the carb is what freezes not the manifold... 1.8 litre MGB had about a 100 mm long tube on the dual manifold with a small balance tube between them. That is enough to get the carb away from the exhaust for mounting.
Tuning is really easy if you use the MGB linkage setup and a good ear. Individual cable like on a multi motorcycle can be a little problematic

And the tube from carb's to air box can be made at best performance length without freezing as there is no fuel involved.
The SU carb is a constant vacuum carb, it is a good substitute for the double port carb with one smaller butterfly valve for idle and a second one with big butterfly valve for high RPM.

Mike, This was a timed port injection and that was where the trouble started.
But I can't explain anything about it as I don't have a clue myself.
The guy who did the attempt said it can be done but I didn't want to throw too much money against it.
He must've been the eternal optimist, you are still battling the unequal engine degrees between cylinders. Maybe get hold of a WilyWily head and fit diesel injectors directly into the head

So now I have the old trusty distributor on it and maybe one day a SU carb...or two :|

Allan, I have played with the idea to swap engines, but Belgian rules are different than in the US.
Here you can't do it legally.

All the best,
Luc
Michael Browne

REAL jeeps have FLAT FENDERS AND BAR GRILLES not much else comes close

bantamj
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by bantamj » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:28 am

Michael, Thank you for taking time for this.
For now I have put the carb mod on hold untill I know everything about it and don't waste money doing things I don't know.

Putting injectors in the head sounds a fun idea!! I have a cut away head here to investigate if it can be done without drilling in the water jacket.

Best Regards,
Luc

pkozak1

Post by pkozak1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 am

I'm just trowing this out there, but the only side draft carb I would contemplate using would be a S&S Super "G" with a Thunder Jet installed designed for a large bore 1800cc and up motorcycle. It is a side draft with tune-able Air Bleed, primary and secondary jets, very easy. Since you are a fabricator, you will be able to fab up your side draft manifold for it. This post is very interesting.

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Luc,

My GPW came with a SU carb installed when I bought her 35 years ago. As far as I can remember, it ran fine, but I had never driven a Jeep before, so I guess that I had nothing to compere it to. Sorry, but I can't remember what type it was, I have a photo but you can't see much :( I wanted to return the GPW back to standard, so installed a Carter.

Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

Return to “MB GPW Modifications”