how do i post pictures on this forum?

Discussion and issues regarding the forums.g503.com message board application website.
WillysMb42
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by WillysMb42 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:50 pm

tamnalan
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: how do i post pictures on this forum?

Post by tamnalan » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:54 pm

Navigate back to the "Board Index" and check out the G FAQ section.

It's a 2-step process. Load your pics to a web page (like surfacezero), and then link the photo to your post.
Alan W. Johnson
MB-TD, Mar 2012
Ford 91C, 1939

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Have a look here. viewforum.php?f=1
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:57 pm

I use photo bucket, no cost, drag & drop photo or multiple photos to the photo bucket screen, open the image you want then copy the IMG link @ the bottom of the list on the RHS.
Paste link to your thread, then delete all the stuff related to URL in the link [i.e. all the printed stuff below that I have altered slightly so no one can use] otherwise everyone can access/view all pictures in your album.

URL=http://s199.photobucket.com/user/artifi ... 1.jpg.html]
Image[/URL
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:49 am

I would suggest "not" using Photobucket. Especially if you have a free account. Each photo has a bandwith limit. Meaning if your post/photo gets enough views during x time, your photo will be replaced by a splash image for a few hours/days and they often clean up the databases and empty unused accounts. I'd rather use Imgur (as easy/easier) or SurfaceZero here on the Gee.

To upload to Imgur, either drag/drop your image, Copy (Ctrl+C) your image on your computer and paste it in the imgur window (Ctrl+V), or just click browse and your image will be uploaded with no apparent downsize and images stay a lonnnng time. You don't need an account.

Edit : Also, imgur offers resizing tools and image adjustments if you choose to use it.
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Post by Jon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:48 am

If you look at the boxes when you make a post, there's a little thing down under the typing box.......there that says UPLOAD ATTACHMENT........

Try that.
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:59 am

Boyso wrote:I would suggest "not" using Photobucket. Especially if you have a free account. Each photo has a bandwith limit. Meaning if your post/photo gets enough views during x time, your photo will be replaced by a splash image for a few hours/days and they often clean up the databases and empty unused accounts. I'd rather use Imgur (as easy/easier) or SurfaceZero here on the Gee.

To upload to Imgur, either drag/drop your image, Copy (Ctrl+C) your image on your computer and paste it in the imgur window (Ctrl+V), or just click browse and your image will be uploaded with no apparent downsize and images stay a lonnnng time. You don't need an account.

Edit : Also, imgur offers resizing tools and image adjustments if you choose to use it.
Not to be argumentative but I have been using photo bucket since 2006 & not sure exactly what you mean.
If there is/had been a problem I would have shifted to something else.
Also Jon Rogers @ one time indicated something about photo bucket issues, so there may or may not be something in what you say.
BUT I'd like to know more than hearsay.
Please let me know what I am doing that you are not, so I [& others as quite a few on here use photo bucket] can learn?
The only time that I know photo bucket has lost anything of mine is when I have changed some picture's location from one folder to another in my albums on their site. e.g. from say brakes to disc brake folders.

Here is what has worked for me:
1. I take pictures with a camera
2. transfer these pictures to my computer & put them in an appropriate file/folder
3. clean the picture/s up using Microsoft office picture manager....if labeling is needed 'paint' works fine then ms pict. mgr.
4. reduce/re-size the picture to suit 'document size' i.e. 1.5Mb to 230kb
5. I save both larger & new now smaller picture e.g. carb & carb.sm
6. save the pictures in the computer folder for later

Now when I want to upload the picture to photo bucket to be posted on the G or anywhere else.
1. open photo bucket
2. open the appropriate folder you setup on photo bucket
3. drag & drop the SMALLER photo to the nominated spot on the photo bucket page from your computer folder or desktop if saved there [but drag/drop anywhere on the photo bucket page will usually take]
4. watch the upload taking place....
5. open the picture in photo bucket
6. on the photo bucket page rhs side there will be a box 'share links' & @ the bottom IMG
7. select & copy the text in that box by left clicking, it will turn yellow & copied will be visible in the box once you have what you need
8. then go to your G posting preparation, right click & paste what you copied
9. this is like what you just pasted:
etcxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx][/color][img ... r=#BF0000]
10. only keep what is in between the Image brackets & delete everything that is coloured in 8
11. your photo/s will now be posted with your contribution:
Last edited by artificer on Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:03 am

Might just be because the Gee doesn't get enough traffic, I admit, I can't recall last time I've seen it happen on here, but I see it daily on other forums.

http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... s-Popular-

10gb/month. Since most photos are around 5mb, you'd need 2000 photos in your album all seen once during a month by a single user to reach that limit.

That will certainly not affect many people on here, but if you had a collection of wartime photos, for example, that number is quite easy to reach.

I'll agree with you, it works great, was just pointing out there may be better alternatives ;)
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:06 am

If you go back as far as the G503 Wayback Machine allows you....circa 2003 or so and start looking at threads you will notice that hundreds of photos are no longer available....that's because they were hosted elsewhere. Which is why they are no longer available. Anytime you are using another host for your pics they can fall off the planet as you can see from many posts over the years.

The solution has been, as Jon Rogers just pointed out, to host them on the G503 directly and eliminate using a third party host. This has some drawbacks of course....a limit of THREE pics per post (so you post three more on another post) and a 256kb limit on image size (so you have to learn how to resize or crop to get there).

Up to you....if you want security, host them on g503. If you want huge pics and lots of them on a single post then use a third party host and hope that they don't disappear later on.

Up to you.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

Wingnutt
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wingnutt » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:30 am

John,

I've been on Photobucket for several years. I ran into a throughput issue after a year or so, which forces me to pay $2.99 per month for unlimited bandwidth. But note that I participate in several forums, so my photo, link, and views load is probably 4 to 5x larger than people just posting photos here. That's also why I don't use surfacezero; this is not the only place I share my photos.
TEMPORARY DUTY

Return to “Forums.g503.com”